|HAL Computer Systems|
|Founded|| May 1990|
|Fate||Absorbed into Fujitsu|
HAL Computer Systems, commonly just HAL, was an American fabless semiconductor company. Founded in 1990 with the goal of creating the world's fastest and most reliable 64-bit workstations, HAL is known for having designed one of first commercial 64-bit microprocessors and as the company that beat Sun Microsystems to the first SPARC-V9 processor.
HAL was founded in May 1990 by Andrew Heller, a highly regarded computer designer from IBM. HAL is named after HAL 9000, the AI computer in Arthur C. Clarke's Space Odyssey series. Failing to secure additional necessary funding, HAL secured $40 million from Fujitsu in exchange for 44% stake in late 1991. In November 1993 HAL became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Fujitsu after selling the remaining 56% share of the company for an additional $50 million.
|fate||Absorbed into Fujitsu +|
|founded||May 1990 +|
|founded location||Campbell, California +|
|founder||Andrew Heller +|
|full page name||hal computer systems +|
|headquarters||Campbell, California +|
|instance of||semiconductor company +|
|name||HAL Computer Systems +|
|wikidata id||Q5628920 +|